About the German Club
Established since 1965, Foothill High's German Club has been the biggest club on our FHS campus for over 20 years. Last year we had 202 members! The purpose of the FHS German Club is to give the students in the German program a positive sense of belonging. We are one big united family. The dues for the club are just $1 per year. We have meetings every other Thursday at 7:15am in room S19. There are always tasty refreshments at the meetings as students love to eat! It is a very active club. You may even get to go on some field trips for free, and four year members receive a scholarship! The club sets its aspirations high this year, with a financial goal of $10,000, a goal for more community involvement, and more parent involvement. You will help it achieve its goals, embrace the German culture, and enjoy the numerous activities and events, all at the same time, if you join German Club.
2012 Summer Trip to Europe
Our Annual Events Are:
- Oktoberfest - A big party is held to celebrate the German tradition. There is German food and a rootbeer drinking contest. At lunchtime.
- German Day - 2 dance groups perform and students sing and do musical performances. Each year we have try outs for new, younger dancers who are taught the traditional dances by the older students so that we keep the tradition going. We also sell German food this day, because it is the only day in the year we are allowed to sell. During international week.
- Christmas activities: We celebrate St Nicholas Day. The students make shoes out of paper. St Nicholas and Knecht Ruprecht come and give the students candy or sticks! We have a big Christmas bingo game with German cultural items and good prizes. In addition, we have a big Christmas party at lunch time. On December 6th.
- Mardi Gras - We have a big party with German food and dress up like the Germans do in their home country. Students make masks. In February.
- Field trip to San Francisco - This is an annual field trip to a German cultural center in San Francisco. On a school day in March.
- Field trip to Great America -This is our fun end-of-the-year-trip. On a Saturday in May.
- End of the Year Activities - There is a big pizza party held at lunch. We also have a slide show that lasts about 45 minutes and has music of everything we have done during the year. There are so many people in the club that we have to hold the parties on 4 different days. The students choose which day they want to come.
- Dinner in a German restaurant - The senior students go to a dinner in a German restaurant here.
- Scholarships - Those students who take German all 4 years at Foothill High get a $100 scholarship. During senior awards night.
- Trip to Europe every 2 years. Frau Freeman takes a trip to Europe with students and parents every 2 years. We have done this since 1994. It is 2 weeks long, and we visit countries such as France and Germany. We went during the summer of 2012.